Address: Plaza San Matín s/n – Retiro
It is the first equestrian statue erected in the Argentinean Republic. It is a tribute to the Liberator ‘Jose de San Martín’ ridding his mythical horse, on which he made all his deeds in order to obtain the liberation of the people of South America.
The statue is attributed to the French sculptor Louis-Joseph Daumas and was inaugurated in 1862.
Another pedestal was added to this work during the celebration of the May Revolution Centenary, a moment in which it was decided to add a monument to the Armies of Independence. This aggregate was made by the German sculptor Gustavo Eberlein. Four bronze sculptures stand out in its ends representing: the departure to the War, the Battle , the Victory and the Return.
A sculpture of Mars, god of the War, was added in the front of the monument, holding his left arm up and a laurel wreath in his hand. The condor with open wings in the left-front corner symbolizes the triumph of the armies and Independence.