Address: Bolívar 233 /65 – Monserrat
This monumental work is the result of Maillart’s inspiration, who was an architect. It was built in 1906 and inaugurated in 1938. Previously, there were different educational institutions in the same place where now lays the new building. The beauty of it’s French academic style and its Beaux Art shapes can be noticed in spite of the difficulties of seeing it as a whole from the outside, due to the fact that the limiting buildings are very close to it.
Its origin in the “Manzana de las Luces” dates back to the XVIIIth century when the Jesuit preachers founded the St. Ignacio School and after hosting several different activities, in 1863, as a ruling by Bartolomé Mitre the “Colegio Nacional de Buenos Aires” was established. It has maintained its prestige through the years and it is still considered as one of the highest academic level schools of the city. Many important politic, scientific and intellectual characters graduated from there: the writers Baldomero Fernández Moreno, Enrique Larreta; the former presidents Carlos Pelligrini, Roque Sáenz Peña and Marelo T. de Alvear; the Nobel Prize award winners Bernardo Houssay and Carlos Saavedra Lamas; the scientists Agote, Pirovano and Angel Gallardo among many other men of paramount importance to this country’s life.