Address: Plaza San Martín s/n – Retiro
It is a cenotaph located in the San Martín Square, a memorial to the fallen soldiers during the Malvinas war, whose rest are not here, but in the cemetery of the islands.
This bloody confrontation took place between April the 2nd and the June the 14th of the year 1982, when Argentina and England faced a confrontation regarding the possession of the islands. The origin of the conflict between both countries goes back to year 1833 when the islands were invaded by the English, who settled down and have remained there ever since.
The claims over the sovereignty of the Islands by our country is due to historic as well as to geographic reasons, such as the fact that they are located in the Continental Platform. After Argentinas failure at recovering them, they are still in the hands of the English.
The cenotaph was inaugurated in 1990 and is composed by 25 granite plaques that have the inscription of the 649 soldiers’s names fallen during the war. Underneath them, there are 25 coat of arms, 23of which represent the provinces, one is the City of Buenos Aires’ and the remaining one, on the central part, is the National emblem. The memorial is presided over by a mast where the Argentinean flag flutters.
The custody is in charge of the Armed Forces, with fortnight rotations, all through the week, from 8am to 8pm.