This province in Argentina offers many epic sites for hiking lovers and also offers the opportunity of mountain climbing for the more adventurous souls
El Chaltén (Mt. Fitz Roy)
Famous for its proximity to glaciers. It is also apt for trekking and is practiced on the very surface of the glaciers, a unique experience…
- Isla Solitaria: facing El Calafate, easy access but you should ask beforehand which area of Lake Argentino you have to cross in order to reach the island.
- Cuevas del Gualicho: it is located 7 km. from El Calafate, archaeological site with cave paintings on the coast of Lago Argentino.
- Glacier Perito Moreno: 2-hour walk on the glacier, and navigation on Brazo Rico. An excursion from El Calafate takes a full day. Minimum recommended age is 10 years and maximum 60.
- Glacier Perito Moreno, Glacier Frías y ascent of Cerro Cervantes: Duration of 2 to 3 days. Specialized guides are recommended.
Perito Moreno Town
The best area for trekking is in the Perito Moreno National Park at 310 km. south of this locality. Travel through this Park is reserved for those willing to camp or stay at some of the estancias in the area. Once inside the Park, contact the Park authority to register your entry and program your visit. There is only one camping area (no services) and is placed at the eastern point of Lago Burmeister (16 km. from the Park Ranger´s house).
The inner roads are not appropriate for cars or low vehicles. The estancias Belgrano and La Oriental, as well as the Park Ranger´s house are the starting points for the classic walks combined with short transfers by car that last from one to four days.
For longer itineraries there are two other camping areas in which campfires are not permitted, heaters must be used. These sectors are the areas surrounding the information center and El Rincón.
- Lake Burmeister: (16 Km.)
- Peninsula Belgrano: (10 Km. )
- El Rincón: (16 Km.)
- Lake Volcán: (19 Km.)
- Cerro León: (9 Km.): Duration is 4 hours, round trip. The ascent will give you the possibility of an incredible panoramic view and see the flight of the condors.
- Natural Path Peninsula Belgrano: (10 km): Starting at the Istmo del Lago Belgrano a 2-hour walk with a breathtaking scenery.
- Lagunas del Mie: (7Km.): Special for bird watching.
- Laguna Roble: (10 Km.)
- Puesto del Nueve/Lago Azara: Access by car to the Cerro Mie and following the eastern coast of Lake Belgrano, after 5 hours you will arrive to an old shepherd´s post with a shelter. From this place, different excursions are available to the blue Lake Azara or the Lake Belgrano waterfall.
- Valley Cerro San Lorenzo: The glaciers in this area are the scenery of fascinating exploration. By 4×4 vehicle some 15 km to a wild camping area. Then a 5-hour walk to be able to view the highest peaks of Patagonia.
Source: Santa Cruz Province Tourism Bureau.